Parental Responsibility governs the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority in relation to a child. It confers legal status in issues of the child`s health, education and welfare.
- A mother has parental responsibility automatically.
- Parental Responsibility is retained even if the parents separate and regardless of who the child lives with.
- a father of a child born after 1st December 2003 (who is named on the birth certificate) shares parental responsibility with the mother.
- Otherwise a father does not acquire it unless:
- the parents of the child are married.
- the parents enter into a Parental Responsibility Agreement.
- a Court makes a Parental Responsibility Order.
- a Step-Parent Parental Responsibility Agreement (is this not for step dad?)
Any other person who has been granted a Child Arrangements Order (check) or a Residence Order will also be granted parental responsibility for so long as the order remains in force.
We can assist with Parental Orders for non-biological parents same sex families and surrogate parents.
BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION
COME IN AND TALK TO US, WE CAN HELP